StatCounter

Friday, March 18, 2016

Spring Breakin'

Hi spring breakers (hi Mom, on the couch 10 feet from me)! The title of this post is a little misleading, because I actually have no idea what spring break is anymore. It is definitely one of the very few things I miss about school! My parents still get one each year though, so they decided to vacay in north Texas this week, which has been nice. Ella is getting spoiled rotten, and I'm pretty sure she is now the favorite girl in the family. It's fine, I wouldn't dare try to compete with that cuteness. 

I finished the Whole30 on Tuesday, and aside from the baby shower cake incident, I was about as compliant as I could have been, I think! It went really well. My measurements and overall body composition didn't change much, but I felt so much better! I really hope to stick to that type of eating the majority of the time now, just because I do know it's better for me to not consume so much processed junk. And if I'm disciplined and just decide "I don't eat something," then it's really not that hard to say no to the extra little treats that can be so tempting. I also just ate pizza and breadsticks for dinner, but it's Friday night, it was convenient, and I hadn't had it in a long time. I'll just have to make it a priority to keep track of when I will and won't allow myself to indulge! I think round 2 of the Whole30 will take place in June, between the RnR San Diego half marathon and my brother's wedding, because you know, pictures last forever. Stay posted for that, and seriously consider joining me! It wasn't even that bad.

Speaking of San Diego, half marathon training is nearly two weeks underway and is going well! I have done 8-week plans and 12-week plans in the past; this cycle I went with a 14-week plan written by Nike running. I am loving it so far, and would recommend it to anyone training! So many plans are just not doable for average runners, or busy people who have real jobs and don't run for a living. This plan is totally different! I am able to do every workout either outside or on the treadmill at the gym. I also like that it's not the same 4 workouts every single week. The track/speed/hill workouts are different every week, and although they're pretty stinking tough, I look forward to the variety of the runs. Lastly, I've also been enjoying the fact that I'm able to still lift heavy twice a week on this plan. I usually do a short run, then hit arms, legs, or back fairly hard. I'm learning more and more how important strength is in running (and life in general).

Last weekend, I ran the Panther City 5K in Fort Worth. It's been pretty rainy here, so the run next to the river was b-e-a-utiful. The river is full and the banks are so lush and green, it's like running in a movie during springtime. The course for this race got changed because of some overfilled levees, but it was still quite pretty and serene. It was windy on race morning and there were a few little, tough hills, but I ran my fastest pace in awhile, which was so encouraging! Ella even got to make the trip to cheer for me! I can't wait till her attention span allows her to run with me for a few miles.



In other news, KU won the Big XII tournament and is one win in to winning the national championship (a girl can dream). The Final Four is in Houston this year sooooo that would be a cool blog post, am I right? They need 5 more wins!

For those of you on spring break, I hope you enjoy it! Don't take it for granted, because there are people named Jenica who don't get a spring break. Boo-hoo. I've got some exciting stuff coming up this weekend and next week, so be sure to be on the lookout for the next blog! As always, thanks for hanging in to the end if you've made it this far. Ya'll are rockstars.

PS Taking a poll: will KU win the national championship? I say yes, of course.
PPS What's your favorite lift?

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen



2 comments:

  1. I would love more info on the whole 30 please!? Thanks! Love and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite lift: I would still have to say the classic bench press, somethin' about it is just thoroughly enjoyable

    ReplyDelete