StatCounter

Saturday, February 27, 2016

I Love the Cowtown

Happy Saturday (and hello, mom)! I can't get over the fact that we have not had any winter weather in Texas. It's been so mild, and there are still wasps flying around in my yard. WASPS. And they've been growing since summer, so they're enormous. I also had to mow the lawn this morning, because it never did the whole "winter dying" thing. I can't complain though; that means better running weather, and more outside playtime for Ella!

This morning I ran the Cowtown 10K in Fort Worth. It is one of the only races I will run repeatedly, and it's kind of become a little tradition in my life. I ran my first 10K EVER in 2014 at the Cowtown, so it's a bit sentimental (that's about as sentimental as I get). I was supposed to run it last year, but there was an ice storm so the 10K was cancelled. I still got my shirt though, of course! Last year was also supposed to be the first time I did a race with my friend, Celeste. We should have done 3 races together up to this point, but this year's Cowtown was our first! Technology is great, but it was so good to finally meet her in person!

The weather this morning was about 50 degrees, which is my ideal running temperature. There was a light breeze, and the sun was rising over downtown during the race, one of the prettiest sights to see. 

Going into the 10K, my goal was to run the whole thing and not have to take any walk breaks. However, upon starting this morning, I was unsure if that would happen or not, because the longest "training run" I'd done to this point was about 4.2 miles, when I run/walked the 10K in Waco at the end of January. 

At about mile 3, I was ready to take a little walk break, but I overcame the mental weakness and pushed through. I felt like I wanted to stop a couple more times, so I slowed my pace a little but decided to just suck it up and RUN. I achieved my goal of no walking, which was great for my mental and physical strength, especially since this week marks week 1 of half marathon training for San Diego.

Literally thousands of people participate in the race weekend

Overall, it was a slow and steady race. I've always said I'm the tortoise, and that'll likely never change. :) I can't wait to do the Cowtown again in 2017; running in Ft. Worth has become one of my favorite hobbies. I'd recommend it to anyone living in or traveling through the metroplex!

Sweaty, Sleepy, Success.
Just a short Whole30 update: it's going really well. I've told a few people what I'm doing and they're incredulous, wondering if it's extremely hard. It honestly hasn't been hard at all yet. Today marks day 12 and it's been smooth sailing, thank goodness. I have wanted a few paleo chocolate chips, and I miss stevia in my coffee terribly, but as for actual food, it's not that bad. I do feel much better, and I hope to mostly continue this style of food consumption after the 30 days are over. Of course, I'll have to spring for Dunkin on occasion, but all the added sugar just isn't really worth it (somebody remind me I said that in a couple of months).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch KU wrap up their 12th straight Big XII conference title! RCJH.

PS: Who is going to win the NCAA national championship in basketball?
PPS: What's your favorite race you've ever run?

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen

1 comment:

  1. My favorite race has been the Turkey Trot in Guymon with the whole family! KU national champs!

    ReplyDelete