StatCounter

Saturday, February 13, 2016

A 5K, Whole30, and a Sister

Happy Valentine's Day, readers (hi Mom)! I'm currently blogging from my back stoop because in Texas there's no such thing as winter and it's currently 66 degrees with a comfortable breeze; I guess every now and then you get days like these. Yes, those were KJ-52 lyrics, circa 2002ish, for all of you old Christian "hip-hop" listeners.

I feel like I should probably write about Saturday's race first before I get to the more exciting news! I ran the "It Takes Two" 5K in McKinney this morning. I'm about as far southwest in the DFW metroplex as you can get, and McKinney is far northeast, so I was up bright and early. I got my Stridebox this week and in it were these gluten-free organic energy waffles, so I had that pre-race for breakfast. I was leery of trying, but it was actually super delicious! Leslie Knope would approve.

Once I got to the race, I went straight to packet pickup. I always do race day pickup because I work late and the races aren't super close to me; I usually get there early to get my shirt and bib then go hang out in my car or walk around till race time. Today when I checked in I was told I could just get my shirt after finishing.

It was about 39 degrees with some sun and quite a bit of wind, so there was a definite bit of chill in the air! The course was fairly "hilly" as far as DFW 5Ks go, so my legs definitely got a nice little workout. We ran in a pretty affluent area, so seeing the big houses and all the nice pavement was pretty wonderful. My time was nothing special, but I did end up with 2nd place in the females 25-29 age division. I love smaller races on the weekends, because I do fairly well in them since not a whole lot of people participate! A nice little ego boost, which I probably don't need, but fully enjoy. After I crossed the finish line, I went to pick up my shirt and was informed that they were out and they would be reordering. I had to give them my name and size and was told I would have to pick it up when they come in. Super inconvenient and frustrating. I pretty much only run races to add to my enormous t-shirt collection, so to pay money, wake up before the sun, drive 70 miles, and not get a shirt was such a bummer. I'm hoping I can find someone to pick it up. My medal, however, is pretty cute!
The race was for couples/groups of 2, but my friend couldn't make it so I got the single girl medal
Just a short little tidbit about Whole30 here. Those of you who read my 2016 post might remember one of my goals for this year is to complete two rounds of Whole30. My first round is set to begin this Tuesday! I would love partners for some accountability and sharing in the difficulty of these 30 days, so please let me know if you want to do it with me; there are 3 of us so far!

I saved the best item of this blog post for last. Ready? Drum roll please...... My best friend found his best friend/love of his life & is engaged, you guys! My brother flew to NYC to surprise his girlfriend last weekend, popped the question and they're engaged now! I'm getting the sister I never knew I wanted! Our family is pretty blessed to get to welcome Andreia in as the newest Moore in a few months. She loves Jesus and people as much, if not more, than most people I've met in my life. I can't wait to see what their future holds! I can't get too mushy though...gotta save the good stuff for my speech at the wedding.

That's all the excitement I'm sharing this week. There was another addition to Club Mockingbird, but you'll have to wait until next week's Jen Being Jen for that one. :) Are you hooked yet? Wait, don't answer that.

PS What is with the attitudes in Dallas/Collin county? I've met only a select handful of people who live there and are nice. And three of them are originally from KS!
PPS What do you think Club Mockingbird's newest addition is? :)

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen 

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post yet!!! I'm so excited for Jace and Andreia!!

    ReplyDelete