StatCounter

Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Rest of the Story

Hey again, everyone (hola madre!)...remember me? Sorry for the lapse in blog posts. I have had a lot to say, and have started many blog posts in my head, but writer's block got the best of me and I just couldn't finish up any of the ones I started. A lot has been going on, but I will spare you all the long and tedious blog post and talk about something important: glorification of God in what you do.

To catch you up on what has happened since my last blog post, I moved to Kansas from Texas because I took a job at a new clinic working with a close friend and about six other excellent therapists. While, yes, moving closer to friends and family is a huge bonus to moving back to the Midwest, after much thinking and reflection, I think it's become a little more clear: I think God guided me this direction because I was not glorifying Him where I was.

When I first graduated from PT school, I was adamant about finding a job in the metroplex and staying there to live the big city life. I interviewed a few places and got a job working for a giant, nationwide physical therapy company (this is not meant to be a bashing post, so please do not take it that way). There were promises of bonuses for performance, good benefits, and a competitive salary, so like a first-time employee I decided I'd be happy to work for such a place! I was sure within a few years I'd grow my skill set, start working on different certifications, and just live a carefree working life.

Fast forward about 20 months. My life had become a 5-day-a-week slog into the office to see as many patients as I could in 8 or 9 hours per day, then go home. I won't go into details, but after I finally realized how unhappy I was in that I wasn't making a difference in anyone's lives, but increasing the vacation home size of the higher ups at the company, I decided it was time to cut out the bitterness and resentment and find somewhere else to practice. As a Christian, my testimony and life are supposed to be reflections of Jesus, and all I was doing was "punching the clock" and just existing there. You really can't serve both God and money, guys. It just does not work.

Through various bible studies, sermons, podcasts, etc. God was clearly reminding me that life is not about me. It's about Him. I am (you are, we all are) created and brought onto this terrestrial ball to glorify Him the best we can with our lives while He has us here. Whether that is through work, school, parenting, or walking your dog, God is the only One who is to get the glory. 

When I was in PT school, I said I'd never work with geriatrics. Never say always and never say never, because guess what? You'll be wrong. Since starting my new job, I've seen predominantly geriatric patients so far. Do I get to push them to their physical limits, jumping, running, and getting them back to the sport they love? Well, no. But what I do get to do is hear their stories about life. I get to hold back tears as I listen to a patient talk about how her husband passed away just before their 50th wedding anniversary; or about how a grandchild did the cutest thing; and even occasionally hear the same story 50 times because he or she lives alone and physical therapy is the one social interaction they have. 

What does my patient population have to do with glorifying God? I am able to show them love when they need it, to listen to jokes or sad stories, and to do my best to have the attitude Jesus might have toward a person in need, just like Jesus does with me every.single.day. 

With all of this being said, I am clearly an expert on glorifying God, so I hope you all took notes. Just kidding. I am about the biggest Pharisee you'll meet, unfortunately. I am not worthy of the blessings and the big shift in life I was provided. But I am thankful and humbled by a great God who I serve and hope to glorify more each day I'm still around here. I would also like to use this post as a nudge toward the person reading this who is contemplating whether or not they should change jobs because they can't stand the thought of going back to work each morning, for the kid in school who can't bear the thought of going to another class, or for the mom/housewife who is irritated because she has to clean up yet another mess. How do you glorify Him, even amidst the most frustrating situations? If you can't, make a change. Either pray for a change in situation, or pray for perseverance to push through it. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me. It's good to be back! :)

PS What's the toughest situation you've found that you struggled to glorify God?
PPS Is it ever going to be winter? It's still in the 70s in Kansas!

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad God nudged you back to Kansas! So excited you're back and loving the field you're in! You're right, never say never. Look at me, I'm teaching middle school... never say never!

    ReplyDelete