StatCounter

Friday, July 29, 2016

Goodbye, Texas.

Happy almost August, wow! Hi, mom, thanks for walking Ella for me! I'm currently sitting inside a house cluttered with boxes, empty cabinets, and abnormal chaos and general disarray. Why, you might ask? I'm moving. Yes, you read that right. For someone who detests moving, this is my third packing and unpacking marathon in 3 summers. Maybe I do like it after all....just kidding. It's time to settle down for awhile, I think.

When I bought my house a year ago, I was pretty sure I was settling into the house I'd make a home for several years. I intentionally moved to Texas after graduating from PT school two years ago, a fulfillment of a childhood dream of one day becoming a resident of the illustrious Lonestar State. While it's been a fun 26 months, after much prayer, thought, and consideration, I've come to the conclusion it's time to move on. In the words of the NBA player I love to hate (er, strongly dislike), I've decided to take my talents back to the Sunflower State (I hope Kansas will accept my meager talents, and show me grace as I know I still have a lot to learn). 

I've been happy with Texas, and who knows, maybe someday in the distant future I'll return, but right now the right move in my life and current place in my career is to go live and learn in Kansas. Sure, I'll have to get used to cold weather and snow again, but I'm so excited to be able to wear cute boots and fleece jackets for more than one week each year. Forewarning: expect a little bit of whining during the winter. It's just going to happen. Ella is also really excited to play in snow and pretty-colored fall leaves!

During my time in Texas, I had the opportunity to work in a good environment, and got to fine tune my time management, patient management, and communication skills; I'm really excited to have been blessed with an awesome new job offer where I'll get to learn a little more and get to really hone in my skills and become a great therapist. I'd be lying if I said my job has been stress-free, because it was definitely a big adjustment learning how to be a grown-up, especially hours away from my family.

Another big reason to head north is for that very reason-- I'll be much closer to my family. I can even go home after work on a Friday evening and get home before midnight! Bonus: I'll live really close to my brother and new sis-in-law (#winning!). Hopefully they're okay with that, too... Almost as important as being close to my family is the fact that I'll be close to the Jayhawks and can pretty much go to games at Allen Fieldhouse as much as I want (and as much as my wallet will allow). RCJH!

So, where in Kansas am I moving? I'm going to be an Emporian! One of my really close friends from PT school lives and works there, and has been trying to convince me to go to Emporia since I moved to Texas. I finally took the bait, and literally couldn't be more excited. City living has been fun, but I definitely miss the benefits and closeness of a smaller community, and just the Midwest in general. Having lived in the Midwest and Texas, I can honestly say, Midwest is best. I don't care what true blue Texans say, there really is "no place like home", and no people are as great as Midwesterners. I've had multiple people ask if I'm actually excited to return to the "boring, flat land" and I am, 100%. Growing up, my parents told me it's not about the place, it's about the people, and I'm finally figuring out that that's mostly true.

While I'll miss Target being 5 minutes away, and driving by the big city lights, my new digs are super close to lots of cities, and I'll be right in the middle of lots of cool places, which is awesome! There are even tons of races in Kansas, and I've already registered for a few! I'm super grateful for this new opportunity, and know that there's a reason for it. Proverbs 16:3 says "commit your plans to the Lord, and you will succeed." I know He goes before me, and I'm so excited to figure out what His plans are in Kansas!

Until next time, when I'll be blogging from my new home. Thanks again for sticking with me to the end!

PS What's your favorite region of the USA?
PPS What event are you most excited to watch in the Olympics? Mine are gymnastics, swimming, & beach VB!

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen

No comments:

Post a Comment