StatCounter

Friday, December 16, 2016

The Christmas Light

Happy December, and happy winter, everyone (hope you've got your heater on, Mom)! It's a balmy 35 degrees in Emporia today and has been misting all day long, and we are supposed to get some snow tomorrow. I forgot how cold winter could be, but I surprisingly don't hate it as much as I thought I would! With enough layers (or just staying inside with blankets and a fake plug-in fireplace), one can survive anything! 

Before I get into the meat of this blog post, I'd like to give a disclaimer. I'm going to be talking about a topic that offends some people: Jesus. So if you get offended by what I say, or if you feel your emotions getting heated, resist the temptation to get grumpy about it and stop reading. 

I have always loved Christmas lights. When I was little, I have fond memories of my family tradition of eating pizza by the Christmas tree, as well as loading up in the car and driving around town looking at the various Christmas displays in people's yards. We started those traditions when I was really little and just last weekend my brother & sister-in-law indulged me for my 27th birthday and took me to look at awesome displays in Kansas City. A couple of years ago, my family and I sat in a line for 2 hours on the street waiting to get into an awesomely lit neighborhood. Every chance I get, if there is a great neighborhood or park displaying lights, I try my best to get there!

With you knowing about my appreciation (and slight obsession, maybe) of Christmas displays, you will understand just how utterly thrilled I was to find I live in one of the premiere Christmas neighborhoods in Emporia! Thankfully, I'm about a block over, so I can get away with a simple LED yard light, but there is a horseshoe-shaped street next to my house in which every single house is decorated from the roof to the curb. It's so amazing! I love taking Ella for walks if it's not absolutely frigid. I wish there was some way to get them to decorate for every holiday like this.

One of the first nights I was walking Ella around Whoville, it hit me like a brick on the head: the lights and displays of Christmas time signify Jesus. Holy cow! I'm a little slow at realizing things, but am so thankful I was enlightened to that revelation (see what I did there?). John 8:12 says "Again Jesus spoke to them saying, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" 

So, not only is Jesus the focus and light of this season, and the neighborhood next to me, or the Rockefeller tree, he is the light of LIFE. The knowledge of knowing the lights and glory of God will be a bajillion times brighter than the best-lit Christmas display spurs me on to pursue Him even more, and I hope it will you, too. 

It is my hope and prayer that each of you who reads this post, however many or few there are, would take a moment to reflect on the old cliche that Jesus truly is the "reason for the season." Sure, it's nice to wear ugly sweaters, go to parties with friends, and give and get presents, but remember the Light who was born in a smelly, dirty barn. He is the light of the season, and if you believe in Him, the ultimate light of life and into eternity. 


PS What's your favorite Christmas Carol?
PPS White lights or multi-colored? (I'm team white lights)

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen

1 comment:

  1. Does Little Drummer Boy By Audio Adrenaline count as a carol? ;)
    And I'm gonna give a slight edge to multi-colored at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete