StatCounter

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Texas10 Fort Worth

Wow, what a weekend! I can't believe how fast time flies, but I'm thankful I get to participate in fun activities & events during this short time I'm on earth. Saturday morning I woke up bright & early to get to Ft. Worth to help hand out water to athletes running the C.A.L.F. 15K & 5K with a group of Girls on the Run volunteers. I usually run the Cowtown 10K in February, and thought it'd be cool to help out at their fall event. I am also a huge fan of the Girls on the Run organization. Click the link above to find out what they're all about, and how you can get involved! For those of you who don't run, a 5K is 3.1 miles & a 15K is 9.3 miles. It still HOT here in north Texas, but yesterday was a beautiful day for a run. It was so inspiring to me to see the different levels of athleticism in all of the runners. There were kids doing their first race, and seasoned veterans just out for another run. Every runner has a story, and it's fun to peek in and see little glimpses of those stories while they run by!

Bib Number 178!
The main event of my weekend was this morning's race: the Texas10 Fort Worth. Since I have 1/2 marathon #4 next weekend in Omaha, this was my last training run before next Sunday. The race was on the Trinity Trails, which is one of my most favorite places EVER to run. If you're local to DFW, please go check them out!  

I took it easy after getting home yesterday, eating good foods, mentally preparing, and dancing around a little in the kitchen to get psyched (you're welcome for the visual, haha). I got up at 6 again this morning (I don't believe in weekend sleep ins; wake up earlier than during the week if possible!) & headed to LeGrave Field, ready to tackle 10 miles. 
It was about 66 degrees at the start, with a nice cool breeze, but warmed up quickly as soon as the sun got over the buildings of downtown. I felt pretty good until mile 4 or 5, when I started having pain in my feet. I've been battling what I think is a bone spur in my right heel for almost a year, and nerve pain in my left foot for a little over a year. The nerve pain reared its ugly head, forcing me to take a few walk breaks. I did finish, but my time was pretty terrible, AND the course only ended up being 9 miles! Typically, I'd be bummed at a short distance but today it was a blessing in disguise. I heard a few people talking afterward, & apparently there were some mix-ups on the course, which led to confusion among the runners. The best part of the race is that it's over; however, it was a pretty day to be on the trails so I will try not to complain too much.

Pretty sweet medal; there's even a fact about Ft. Worth on the back of it!
Obviously today's performance makes me super nervous about running the Nebraska 1/2 Marathon next weekend, but I'm going to do it. I may just try run:walk intervals depending on how the feet feel. This has been the hardest training of any of the races I've done before, but I will finish no matter what; it'll just be slow[er than normal]. 

For the rest of this week, I plan to get in a few short runs, some stretching, and heavy mental preparedness training. I'm so excited to run another race with my friend, Shane and see her new hometown! 

PS I ran a race this same date last year & it was 39 degrees. Get with the program, Texas; it's FALL!
PPS If you've never volunteered at a race, I'd encourage you to get out and do that! It's fun, plus the runners are super grateful you're there.

Twitter: @jen_being_jen
IG: @jenbeingjen

No comments:

Post a Comment